From:
Date: August 19, 2022
Subject: GMU NAACP: Welcome Back, Updates, and Other News!

August 2022

Hello, hello, hello to all of you wonderful young freedom fighters of the GMU NAACP! If you haven't had the chance to meet me yet (in-person or virtual), allow me to introduce myself – and if you already have, let me do so one more time for the record ­ƒÿë My name is Alaina and I will be your 2022-2023 President of the George Mason Unit of the NAACP! On behalf of myself and my stellar executive committee, we are so excited to be in community with you all. Over here at the GMU NAACP, we are fired up and ready to work!

So, what do you think about the new email layout? Pretty cool, right? It's the darndest thing, what technology can do. But I digress: alongside a swanky new email look, we've got some updates and announcements for things coming up during these first few weeks of the semester! Sit back, relax, and let me share with you some news from our unit, our partner organizations on campus, and our National NAACP Youth & College Division.

NAACP YCD Fall Programs & Activations

Our National affiliate at the Youth & College Division is hosting a series of advocacy trainings, programs, and activations throughout the beginning of the Fall 2022 semester! Attached is a one-page overview of all programs and activations. The topics of these programs can be applicable to an array of different advocacy fields. Whether you're a seasoned youth leader or brand new to activism, these programs are fantastic ways to get into the work with us and our National affiliate.

If you are interested in attending and/or participating in some (or all!) of these initiatives, please complete this form! Opportunities to build power are available to all NAACP members. We encourage youth leaders of all experiences and backgrounds to tap in and get involved!

Should you have any questions, please contact President Alaina Ruffin at her school email and our National NAACP YCD Field Manager, Mr. Derrick Lewis, at dlewis@naacpnet.org.

The Source 2022

New students! Transfer students! First-time-on-campus-because-of-the-pandemmy students! Mark your calendars and get ready for this year's premiere event for Black Mason students: The Source 2022!

The Source this year will be held on August 27th, 2022 from 3:30–7:30pm on the SUB 1 Quad (4469 Aquia Creek Ln, Fairfax, VA 22030). This event is a fantastic opportunity for folks to learn more about the student organizations, businesses, and resources comprising Black Mason. There will be food, performances, and giveaways available for incoming Patriots to participate in: this is an event you don't want to miss!

Please register for this event on Mason360 in advance. For further information, please contact BLACC President Dunni Oni and Vice President Zuri Hodnett at their school emails.

Fall 2022 Get Connected Fair

Still want to get involved on campus? Want to see what all the student organizations have to offer? Come on out to the Fall 2022 Get Connected Fair, which will be held on August 31st, 2022! Please register on Mason360 in advance for this event and abide by COVID safety protocols at all times. We look forward to seeing you!!

Wednesday, August 31
Start End   Event         Location
11:00am 2:00pm Fall 2022 Get Connected Fair Wilkin's Plaza, SUBI, Fenwick Lawn, Finley Quad
Follow us on Instagram!

The GMU NAACP is looking to fill an open position on our Executive Committee! We are currently accepting applications for the role of Community Service Chair! The Community Service and Outreach Chair & Committee creates and plans community service opportunities based on the community's immediate needs. In this role, you will work hands-on with partners across the George Mason and Fairfax communities; your activities depend on your capacity, interests, and the needs of those you work with. The Community Service Chair will also work closely alongside the Executive Committee to develop their personal leadership skills, gain experience in servant leadership and advocacy, and carry out the mission of the NAACP on a local and state scale.
The application can be accessed here! We encourage students of all years, majors, and backgrounds to apply!!
-
Applications are open on a rolling basis. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact President Alaina Ruffin and/or Vice President Solomon Fair via your school email. We look forward to hearing from you! Ô£¿