Team

Meet the Officers

Beau Fitzpatrick
President
Derek Horstmeyer
Advisor
Decker Barborek
Treasurer
Danny Peng
Secretary
Jordan Colley
Vice-President

Beau Fitzpatrick

Founder & President

I chose finance as my major because I have always been fascinated by the financial industry, stock market, and the ability to save money. I learned money management through my mother who in turn learned from my grandfather. I believe that no matter what anyone ends up doing with their career, a degree in finance or learning about financial planning is extremely useful. I wanted to start this Financial Planning Association at George Mason with my fellow officers because I believe now more than ever we need to understand how the ability to save money is a learned skill rather than something one is born with. The world is constantly adapting and so should we. With this platform I will strive to help all those that are involved to ensure that they increase their knowledge of finance and the financial planning profession.

Derek Horstmeyer

Advisor and Director of Financial Planning and Wealth Management

I'm an associate professor at George Mason University School of Business, specializing in corporate finance. My research focuses on boards, ETF & mutual fund performance, and hedge fund activism. I am also a regular contributor to the Wall Street Journal and other mainstream business publications. As a dedicated teacher, I’ve helped create and lead the first student-managed investment fund at GMU, develop numerous degree programs like GMU's M.S. in Finance and CFA tracks, and currently serve as Director of the new Financial Planning & Wealth Management major at Mason. Outside of the classroom, I'm an avid squash player, swimmer, and devoted fan of everything that is Reno, NV.

Decker Barborek

Founder & Treasurer

Ever since I was a little kid I have loved the idea of money, budgeting, and personal finance. From watching Suze Orman as a kid, to sorting birthday money into envelopes. From running my pool’s snack shack and making change, to reading books about what to do with my small amount of savings. That is where my interest for financial planning started. Over the years I did well in school and on the track. This allowed me the opportunity not only to attend George Mason, but to be a member of the track and field team and represent the university at the A10 championships. While I am still interested in many subjects and ideas, behavioral finance, financial markets, and financial literacy have to be my favorite. This naturally led me to declaring a major in Finance. I am a Junior at George Mason University and a co-founder of this organization. I’m excited to learn more through this community, network with like-minded individuals, and connect with more people than ever before.

Danny Peng

Founder & Secretary

My name is Danny, I am a senior studying Finance. I chose to major in Finance because I like the idea of compounding interest. I hope to be able to work in the financial service industry as financial planner and help people reach their goals through financing the future. In my free time I like to go out with friends and explore and I like to watch movies on Netflix to relax. An interesting fact about me is that I have two pieces of gum on the gum wall in Seattle. I joined the Financial Planning Association, because I wanted to learn more about this field, and meet like-minded people who have a similar career goal.

Jordan Colley

Founder & Vice President

I am currently a junior at Mason and double majoring in Finance & Information Systems and Operations Management (ISOM). Before starting college I knew that I wanted to get involved in business organizations, both for networking purposes and to meet new people. And it feels like I have tried a bit of everything and learned just as much. Learning how to interview, develop resume/cover letters, budgeting, and investing are all skills I have developed somewhere between finals and my work schedule with the help of some great people and opportunities. One of the biggest things I have taken away from my experiences has been the idea that what you get out of opportunities is what you put into it. And while one’s efforts are not always resulting in success, one’s successes are consistently a derivative of one’s efforts. Beyond that, I grew up a little bit of everywhere in the states. I’m a diehard Gators fan in front of my UF alumni family but, deep down, am more of a basketball person. I think that wet grass and bare feet are a match made in heaven, and that time spent learning yourself is never time wasted. Most of all, I think that life is what you make of it. Make it something great.